Thursday, May 14, 2009

Heil America?

So, I'm not trying to be an alarmist (ok, maybe I am) but I am hearing about some taxes, and some government programs that are leaving me saying: "Dude? Where's my freedom?"
I know, I know, people are probably going to call me a crazy right wing conservative fascist... but wait a minute, doesn't it sound fairly fascist/nazist to have the government basically require you to eat certain foods? Tax hikes are being considered on such things as sugary drinks, fast food, and generally, junk food. Now, who defines what as junk food first of all, and why the hell should the government care what I eat? Well, with the huge push right now by both the legislative and executive branches of our government towards socialized healthcare (being called "healthcare for all" or "affordable healthcare" or "fix our broken system!") there is now also a push for making us be more "responsible" by policing what we eat by increasing taxes on certain foods in order to make a more fit America. If that doesn't sound like Naziism, you're not paying attention to history or whats going on right now.

So yea, I'm fat. According to the government charts, I'm morbidly obese.... but also according to their charts, my lean body mass of 190 at 6' is overweight... So... even if I had absolutely NO fat on my body, I would still be considered overweight. To me, it would not be a huge jump to have a "fat tax" (I've even heard rumblings of one) that would tax people extra according to how much over the "average" Body Mass Index. The problem with this to me is... I'm "supposed" to be 150-170 at 6'0"... The thinnest I can ever hope to be (with my huge viking build, being of norse/german descent) is 210-220. So... would that make me get taxed for my genetics? I know the immediate answer will be "oh, you'll get a specific exemption because of your muscle mass" Two problems with that theory:
1) If/When our medicine becomes socialized, do you think they're actually going to give specific physicals for the 150,000,000+ people who are overweight, most of which will try to claim they have the body type I have in order to not have to work as hard to lose the weight?
2) Even if I were to get an exemption, has anyone else had an experience with our government, how they'll have you pay now, then put it to comittee, then maybe eventually (like 6 or so months later) they'll get back to you with a decision, then in 6-10 weeks, you'll actually receive your money back. So that being the case, I would theoretically in perfect condition with 10-20lbs of body fat be taxed as someone who has 70-80lbs of body fat for almost an entire year before I receive the refund, If I were to receive it.
I'm all for people being fit. I'm all for people being able to afford health care, but what the hell are we doing trying to put the GOVERNMENT in charge of it?! Since when is the government actually good at anything, other than taking our money away and squandering it?
Thank you, Come Again!
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment