Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Epic Awesomeness

So, this started as a facebook status update, and kinda was getting too long, and I realized how much better it'd be as a blog!
I feel a need to do something epically awesome to compare with some of the epic awesomeness of my younger years. It seems like there is this unequivecal law in the universe that decrees

"Once you get married, You Get Boring!"

This is probably as a result of some fairly simple things, including maturity, a new outlook on life, and a priority change:
15-21: "Let's go have fun and try to not die whilst doing it!"
21-22: "Hm, I think I need to grow up a little, how can I do that?"
22-25: "Let's work towards real-life goals and try to survive with enough money to get there"

Also, there's this little nagging voice in my head (that sounds surprisingly like my wife) that tells me how bad it would be if I were to get hurt/die. Yea, my death always would have been a disaster/tragedy blah blah blah... but seriously. Some people would have been sad (and I mean REALLY sad) but to a certain extent they would have gotten over it and been able to move on with their lives, but it's a little different now that I'm married. Kimberly would be extremely distraught, I'm not 100% sure she would ever be the same if I got killed as a result of taking a extreme risk, and I am 100% sure that she wouldn't be able to see how the awesomeness of how I died was any consolation; in fact, it would probably scar her.
Have I ever truly done anything that risky you may ask?
Well....
I don't know. I like to think that I did, because it was fun when I was younger, but looking back... so many situations were so trumped up by the combined adrenaline/minds over-fed by spy novels/video games/movies of mine and my closest friends with whom I would, er, do... "stupid stuff" (yes, Todd, Danny and Drew, this includes you... )
Now that I see where we all are today, the only ones who have ever put a serious risk to our lives were Todd and Drew; as they both joined the military.
Yea, sure, the rush of adrenaline coming from flying down a hill on a mountain bike, the sweaty palms from being 100+ feet in the air on a rock face, the... well, this included more people, screaming and laughing with joy as we... "rock-surfed" and who can forget the HILARIOUS fun of "Pole-Ball?" but... none of those really put us the least bit at risk of death unless something EXTREMELY tragic and unexpected happened.
The other stuff (anything involving trench-coats, camoflauge, or fireworks) was the stuff we thought was so risky and all, but really, the only consequences of any of that would have been minor misdemeanor charges (which in all honesty, would have been very bad, and we're really lucky we never got caught/never escalated.)

I dunno... I guess the whole point of this very rambly blog is that I want to do something that I can look at and say: "Dang. That was awesome. That was also very fun. I want to do it again."
Maybe I will now that I've mostly repaired my mountain bike (the rear brakes still aren't quite right... and because we just moved I can't find the %$#@ tools that I need to tighten them)
Maybe I'll just lose weight as a result, but hey, that would still be a level of awesomeness... Maybe tonight I'll get some awesomeness in, but I really doubt it.

Anyway,
Thank You, Come Again!
Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment