Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Fuel efficiency

So, for a while now, I've been keeping track of how many miles per tank I get. On average, since I commute up to Salt Lake, I've been getting between 300-320 miles out of each tank. When I fill up, generally about 14 gallons goes in. 23mpg in a mid sized sedan with a 2.4l engine isn't bad at all. I drive about 85mph on the freeway, which cuts a lot of time off my commute.... or so I thought. One day, right after filling up my tank for the second time in a week, I decided to try an experiement on the way home: I'd drive exactly the speed limit and use cruise control. I thought it'd take forever to get home going 65mph... but when I pulled into provo, I glanced at the clock... 8:40. When I drive 85mph... it's .. 8:38... When I drive 65mph... it's 8:40. I guess the reason is 65mph, I go that speed the whole time. When at 85mph, I have to slam on my brakes every now and then, as well as slow down majorly when I get behind a big truck. So, with that in mind, I decided to continue my experiment. I just filled up my tank today... 414 miles, and still only 14 gallons... Holy crap. I just went from 23mpg to 29.6mpg. Now I want to try all the other mileage boosters, like fill up that low tire that I always think about when I'm getting in my car in the morning... and balance all four tires. And change my oil. And check my O2 sensor... yea, I'm a believer....
Thank You, Come Again!
-Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment