Sunday, June 30, 2013

Neglected blog...

Here is my sad... neglected blog. I haven't written anything since 2011. I think I want to be better about that... partially because Kimberly (my awesome wife; check her blog out here), and partially because I have had people mention that they have looked at my blog... and I am realizing that it is not necessarily representative of my current state of mind or being, seeing as it has been over a year and a half since I have updated it last. So here goes: I'll try to keep it somewhat brief.

Work: I am working at my favorite job of all time. I am a loan officer for Mountain America. Not much to say about my job other than it is freaking awesome, I love it, and am considering making it into a career.

Weight: HAH. I have to say a few things about this one. First of all, my last post, about weight loss... I did go on a diet after that. I followed the diet extremely closely for a couple of months... and nearly killed myself. I was attempting to do a < 1500 calories/day diet. I have since learned how dangerous that is. Yes, I know people will tell you it is ok, and that it's a fast way to lose weight... but here's the problem with that: without getting too much into the science (which I now know a LOT more about... thank you Health Psychology...) Extremely restrictive diets, whether they be caloric, food type, or what have you, trigger hormones in the body which try to balance it out. These hormones (and we are constantly discovering NEW ones which counteract new "diet pills" as they are designed and implemented...) will do anything to fix it. Including eating muscle mass. Guess what your heart is made of... ding ding ding! We have a winner!! Losing more than 2lbs a week is putting your heart at MAJOR risk.. like, don't even go there. Anyway, long and short: I lost about 15lbs (which, as body science would have it, my body put back on within days of me stopping), but not very much body mass/shape. The triggers for me to drop the diet: I could no longer pick something up that I could when I started the diet (too weak) and the day I came home and just broke down in tears because I wanted to eat more food. Now there IS a light at the end of this tunnel/story... (I guess it really is more of a story than a tunnel...) March 4th of 2013, I hit my highest point ever: 340lbs. I was upset, and started my normal "I'm so fat.. I need to diet... but it's soooo haaard" whine, and my sweet, quiet wife had enough. Basically, she gave me a talking to: She told me that she was sick of hearing me complain about it, she was sick of me "trying" stuff and never really sticking with it. She agreed that I needed something different than what I had done in the past. She told me that I had to either shut up about it, or find a program, and actually stick with it for a few months. So I did... I joined Weight Watchers. Now... almost four months later; I can tell you I am happily sticking with that program, and plan to for months/years to come... whatever it takes. I have lost ~21lbs (and I have REALLY lost the weight, not just some artificial yo-yo diet.. I'm starting to have clothes I can't wear anymore). I am healthier than I was in March, and I am happier than I have ever been on a diet... Ever. I am learning how to eat smaller portions of the things I love, rather than gorging myself whenever I get the chance. Kimberly loves it for multiple reasons: 1) I'm not whining about it anymore. In fact, I am quite proud of my weight loss, and am looking forward to all the weight loss to come. 2) We eat real food, not weird diet food. 3) I am getting thinner, and she gets to find ways every now and then where she can tell I've lost weight (ok, I like this one better... it is so rewarding for her to notice something, smile, and say "HEY! You've lost weight again!")

Life in general: I will try not to get too much into this one (as my post is already turning quite long) but here are some subjects which I will cover in greater depth later:

House. We are buying one. Sweet. There will be pictures and descriptions of various projects as I work on and complete them. (including but not limited to beautifying a backyard, replacing a roof, and renovating a room into a home theater system)

Kimberly: She is still struggling with an as of yet un-diagnosed medical condition :( I try to be there for her as much as possible, but there is only so much I can do for her. Prayers are appreciated...

Church: I LOVE my calling. Young Men's Secretary/Scout Committee Chairman. Booyeah.

Anyway.. as the tagline I long ago decided would be at the end of my blog states:

Thank you, come again!

1 comment: